Hey! I’m J.
I live in the Pacific Northwest although I’m an East Coast person at heart. I’m obsessed with my career, good *iced* coffee, and writing about personal finance.
I actually started this site in 2015 as a way to track my debt payoff.
I was in $25,000 of student loan debt from a liberal arts degree and then married someone who was in $35,000 of student loan debt. The combined amount of debt sounded insurmountable, especially with our current salaries.
One day while searching “how to pay off student loans” on Google I found a personal finance blogger who inspired me to take action. My husband, then boyfriend at the time, was on board too. We set a goal to be debt free by the time we got married.
In 2016 we really got serious by:
It worked! I’ve since paid off nearly $100,000 of debt and am now debt-free!
Now that we’re debt free, our new goals are to increase our savings and build multiple streams of income.
By 27, I had saved $200,000 and now I’m 29 about-to-be 30.
More About Me
I’m a twenty-something who has a passion for doing luxurious things cheaply.
I’ve hacked my wedding Game of Thrones style, hacked my engagement ring, earned free travel for trips around the world, and hacked my savings account so that I can reach financial independence when I’m young.
— catch a theme? I’m a huge OPTIMIZER.
Never heard of financial independence? Read The Secret Cult of Young People Who Retire Early.
Contact: millennialboss(at)gmail.com for inquiries.
Here are a few other facts about me:
- I am a dabbler and always have multiple side hustles running at once. Most recently, I became an Etsy seller. I share my side income reports with a detailed breakdown on a monthly basis. Check out my income reports.
- I’m a 100 percent supporter of more women working in tech. It’s the best career field (IMO) and I love it!
- I love my dog, secretly want to be a mountain woman, and can’t decide whether I want to travel indefinitely or be a homebody. Lately, I’m leaning towards the homebody path although we just sold our dream house and I’m slowly getting over it.
- I’m obsessed with living in an R.V., tiny house, or a van but would never actually do it (I think).
- I have a podcast! Check out firedrillpodcast.com.
Click here to binge read Millennial Boss by category
I’ve been featured on media outlets such as:
I’ve also been featured in Forbes, MarketWatch, & Fox Business.
This year, I was a Finalist for the following Plutus Awards at #FinCon:
- Best Millennial Blog
- Podcast of the Year
- Best Co-hosted Podcast
- Best FIRE Blog or podcast
I was a Finalist at FinCon 2017 too!
- Best new Personal Finance Podcast
Want to learn more?
Update: I Launched my own Podcast!
I’m teaming up with my friend Gwen at Fiery Millennials to talk all things FINANCIAL INDEPENDENCE.
Gwen is another twenty-something millennial woman who also hit a $200k net worth by 27.
Her story is that she is a real estate investor and has recently acquired two investment properties in the midwest.
Together we interview some pretty amazing people including six-figure side hustlers, investors, and early retirees.
Our podcast was nominated in 2017 for a Plutus Award for “Best New Personal Finance Podcast” and Podcast of the Year in 2018.
- Subscribe to the podcast in iTunes here: Fire Drill Podcast
- Check it out on Google Play here: Fire Drill Podcast
You can also listen on our website, firedrillpodcast.com.
Here are the first 4 episodes:
- Episode 1: Achieve Early Retirement with Bachelor Party Airbnb Rentals
- Episode 2: Earn $8,000 Per Month Writing Romance Novels
- Episode 3: How to Build a Real Estate Empire in Your Twenties
- Episode 4: Active Investing with Early Retiree Jay from FI Fighter
We also were lucky to interview the Mad Fientist LIVE at FinCon: Episode 30 with the Mad Fientist
Listen for the scoop on what it’s like achieving “early retirement” in your thirties.
Spoiler alert: He still works but he’s in much better shape.
——– Can I recommend something?
Sign up for the free mobile app, Personal Capital, with this link.
It tracks expenses by category too. I’ve been using this app for years and watched that net worth chart go from negative tens of thousands to positive. Feels good.
What’s Your Story?
I’m a huge advocate for sharing your personal story.
I know I get super motivated when I read about others in a similar situation as me.
I encourage you to consider putting yourself out there, too.
Even if you think you have nothing to add, you do.
Blogging has opened up a world of people to me that I never would have met otherwise.
It has completely changed my life.
If you’ve been toying with starting your own blog, check out my tutorial, How to Start Your Blog.
Already a blogger?
- Get featured on Millennial Boss!
I’d love to hear from you!
Email millennialboss @gmail.com or email me through my contact page
Latest posts by Millennial Boss
- December Income Report YESSS – $6,698 - January 21, 2019
- Family Emergency Binder Review and Other New Year Printables - January 5, 2019
- November 2018 Income Report – $5,512 - December 15, 2018