Hey! I’m Julie.
I live in the Pacific Northwest although I’m an East Coast person at heart. I’m obsessed with my career, good *iced* coffee, and writing about personal finance.
I started this site just under 5 years ago as a way to track my debt payoff.
I was in $25,000 of student loan debt from a liberal arts degree and then married someone who was in $35,000 of student loan debt. The combined amount of debt sounded insurmountable, especially with our current salaries.
One day while searching “how to pay off student loans” on Google I found a personal finance blogger who inspired me to take action. My husband, then boyfriend at the time, was on board too. We set a goal to be debt free by the time we got married.
We really got serious by:
It worked! I’ve since paid off nearly $100,000 of debt and am now debt-free!
Now that we’re debt free, our new goals are to increase our savings and build multiple streams of income.
By 27, I had saved $200,000 and now we’re in our thirties, married and pursuing financial independence with a kid!
More About Me
I have a passion for doing luxurious things cheaply.
I’ve hacked my wedding Game of Thrones style, hacked my engagement ring, earned free travel for trips around the world, and hacked my savings account so that I can reach financial independence when I’m young.
— catch a theme? I’m a huge OPTIMIZER.
Never heard of financial independence? Read The Secret Cult of Young People Who Retire Early.
Here are a few other facts about me:
- I am a dabbler and always have multiple side hustles running at once. Most recently, I became an Etsy seller. I share my side income reports with a detailed breakdown on a monthly basis. Check out my income reports.
- I now teach others how to sell printables, start profitable blogs, and freelance at goldcityventures.com.
- I’m a 100 percent supporter of more women working in tech. It’s the best career field (IMO) and I love it!
- I love my dog, secretly want to be a mountain woman, and can’t decide whether I want to travel indefinitely or be a homebody. Lately, I’m leaning towards the homebody path although we sold our dream house and I’m slowly getting over it.
- I’m obsessed with living in an R.V., tiny house, or a van but would never actually do it (I think).
- I have a podcast! Check out firedrillpodcast.com.
Click here to binge read Millennial Boss by category
I’ve been featured on media outlets such as:
Forbes, MarketWatch, & Fox Business.
In 2018, I was a Finalist for the following Plutus Awards at #FinCon:
- Best Millennial Blog
- Podcast of the Year
- Best Co-hosted Podcast
- Best FIRE Blog or podcast
I was a Finalist at FinCon 2017 too!
- Best new Personal Finance Podcast
In 2019, I was a finalist for:
- Best Millennial Blog
- Best Financial Independence Podcast
Want to learn more?
Update: I Launched my own Podcast!
I interview some pretty amazing people including six-figure side hustlers, investors, and early retirees.
- Subscribe to the podcast on Apple Podcasts here: Fire Drill Podcast
- Check it out on Google Play here: Fire Drill Podcast
You can also listen on our website, firedrillpodcast.com.
Here are the first 4 episodes:
- Episode 1: Achieve Early Retirement with Bachelor Party Airbnb Rentals
- Episode 2: Earn $8,000 Per Month Writing Romance Novels
- Episode 3: How to Build a Real Estate Empire in Your Twenties
- Episode 4: Active Investing with Early Retiree Jay from FI Fighter
Latest posts by Millennial Boss
- The Don’t Forget Ski Trip Packing List (+ Printable PDF) - February 15, 2020
- These 3 Courses in the Genius Bloggers Toolkit Make it Worth It - January 16, 2020
- How to Make Valentine’s Day Gnomes with Felt - January 13, 2020