Today’s guest makes $3-5k per month freelancing writing. This is a hefty chunk of change on top of her day job. Read about her business and how it operates below.
Do you want to be featured on the next Feature Friday? Learn more about how to get featured here.
1. What is your business?
I’m Michelle and I’m a freelance copywriter and blogger in the tech/marketing space.
I have a full-time job in addition to my freelance business. I work as a Brand Manager and copywriter at an ad agency outside of Vancouver, Canada. I manage a portfolio of clients, ensure their projects are completed on-brand, and produce website copy, blog posts and other content marketing pieces to further drive their marketing success. I’ve worked in marketing for about 6 years now. I love it! I can’t imagine doing, or writing about, anything else!
3. Who were some influencers in your decision to be an entrepreneur?
4. How did you prepare to take the leap both financially and in your business? Please reference what you saved, if you learned new skills, if you moved, etc.
Luckily, being a freelance writer doesn’t cost much to set up. I set up a website (michellemartin.co), spent a little bit on Google Adwords and it was off to the races. The time commitment is much harder. I am often up late nights until 1-2am writing, then I have to get up at 6am to go to my day job. I don’t have much time for friends or family anymore, either. It gets really hard sometimes, but the extra income I’m making to pay off debt and save up for a home is SO worth it. I had to set a tough schedule for myself and stick to it. I have Friday nights as my “free nights”, so I can hang out with friends or my husband then. Otherwise, I work every day!
5. If you quit your job, were you already making money on the side before you decided to quit your job? Tell us about that. If you are still working full-time, what would make you leave your job?
I am still working full-time. After five months in my writing business, I have matched my income from my full-time job, just by working evenings and weekends. It’s amazing! I would have to be earning significantly more than my full-time job to consider leaving, though it would still be a tough decision. I love my clients at work, and in my freelance biz!
6. Who else works on your business with you? Did you hire anyone to help? When did you decide to bring that person on and how did you find them?
Just me! I am not at the point yet where I need outside help, though would definitely consider that in the future.
Sure. In my first month as a freelance writer, I made $132. Ouch. I was writing for low pay and I knew it. After reading Jorden’s tips in Writing Revolt, I changed my strategy and now, five months later, I earn $3,500/month freelance writing. I’m on track to hit $4,500 next month!
8. What was your worst day so far as an entrepreneur and what was your best day? What happened on those days?
The worst day was when I was working to meet a deadline and stayed up until 4am to get it done. Then, I had to go to my day job at 6am… Yikes! That was a really challenging day to get through… I felt tired and awful for a few days after that until my body caught up with sleep and rest. The best day was when I realized how successful I’m becoming, and when I received my first client payment that was over $2,000 for one invoice… That felt amazing. But more than just the money, I love hearing feedback from my clients. Both positive and constructive! But nothing makes me happier than to hear things like I really nailed their voice, or they love my work. It makes me feel happier than any amount of money!
9. What is one small “trick” or piece of advice that you have learned about reaching customers or making sales? Please be specific and provide something actionable for us.
My advice to reaching customers and making sales is to network. You earn more when you have others promoting your product.
10. Give us two truths and a lie about yourself so we can get to know you better personally!
Haha! Okay here goes… I have a Doberman named Perry who I love very much, I run 5k every day, and I only like chocolate flavoured desserts.
Check her out: https://michellemartin.co
Do you want to be featured on Feature Friday? Learn more about how to get featured here.