Every woman’s birth story is different.
Childbirth has become more and more of a medical act, but by listening to moms’ stories we get to hear the natural part of birth. We’ve put together a list of emotional, inspiring and even weird birth stories from real moms.
Vaginal Birth Unmedicated birth stories
1. Aleesha had a second birth that started out slow but once active they were rushed to the hospital. She delivered a nearly 10 pound baby in less than 3 hours and was another unmedicated and empowering birth. Three days after the birth, Aleesha suffered from a fever and had to deal with an unpleasant ER experience in the hospital. Read her story here.
2. Cristina had Bowie a week early and was already 5cm dilated when she checked into the hospital. She shared her plan for an unmedicated birth with the nurses, and although she was screaming for drugs later on, the nurses made sure to follow her requests. She had Bowie in 2 hours. Read her story here.
3. Julia was planning for an unmedicated, hospital water birth. But she had to have her water artificially ruptured and so water birth was no longer an option. She labored for nearly 26 hours and narrowly avoided a c-section, successfuly having an unmedicated vaginal birth. Read her story here.
Homebirth birth stories
4. Linnaea and her husband decided to have a homebirth after interviewing various midwives they felt comfortable with. She labored pretty easily throughout the night and then called the midwife. After 2 hours of active labor, Oliver was born. Read her story here.
5. Phyllis and Phil decided to do a homebirth with a trusting midwife and a lot of introspection. Phyllis is GBS positive and severely allergic to most antibiotics. 30 hours of laboring and they then called the midwife. 4 hours of active labor and she gave birth to their daughter, Beatrice. Read her story here.
6. 8 hours of back labor later, Mika gave birth to her first child in her own home. The midwife handles a 2nd degree tear and postpartum hemorrhage quickl and efficiently, delivering a healthy baby boy and allowing Mika to have a fast and easy recovery. Read her story here.
7. Heather had decided on a homebirth and it was all going well until the midwife noticed that the baby’s heart was not recovering after contractions when Heather pushed. She was then rushed to the hospital and her baby was born with one push with forceps. Read her story here.
Vaginal Breech birth stories
8. Alexis delivered her baby vaginally after he was in a breech position. She started with home birth but moved to the hospital one it was determine the baby was breech. Read her story here.
9. Ali was pleading for an epidural to gain some rest to fight the intensity of the contractions. The midwife did an exam, and from there they decided to have a cesarean. Otis was born 2 hours later in perfect condition. Read her story here.
10. Callie was 14 days overdue on her pregnancy, and made sure to do her research when she was pressured into induction by her midwife. Pitocin was used to start the induction and this made Callie’s third birth very intense. Read her story here.
Vaginal Twin/Triplet Birth stories
11. Lindsay delivered two twin boys with an epidural and via vagina delivery. She was able to start labor with the stripping of membranes technique. Read her birth story here.
12. Hannah worked with OBGYN to deliver her twins out-of-hospital. It worked perfectly, and she gave birth to her twins in 1.5 hours. She did struggle with breastfeeding all her children, and therefore worked with a lactation consultant and occupational therapist to feed all the mouths. Read her story here.
13. Desiree delivered her triplets right on time. However, she did have some complications; she hemorrhaged and needed emergency blood transfusions. It wasn’t what she anticipated, but at the end both her and her babies were safe. Read her story here.
14. Molly wanted an unmedicated birth, but wasn’t sure after discovering she was to have twins. She educated herself on pregnancy and talked to other twin moms who had had unmedicated births. She switched doctors, developed cholestasis and twin B was a breech, but she was still able to have the birth she was hoping for. Read her story here.
Cesarean birth stories
15. Lindsey knew she wanted an intervention-free birth. But an induction lead to a 28 hour labor which then ended in a cesarean section. Despite all her research and preparation, she hadn’t been prepared for cesarean. Read her story here.
16. After 14 hour of labor, Hailey was told her baby was in distress and would need an emergency C-section. Her initial plan for labor fell wayside, and she feels that no matter how many stories you hear from fellow moms, nothing prepares you for your own birth story. Read her story here.
17. Tara’s planned c-section went smoothly: Selene was well delivered, the cord had been cut by her husband and the breathing was then monitored. All was going well, and then her husband Adam passed out! Read her story here.
Epidural birth stories
18. Elana had a planned hospital birth with an epidural that lasted 12 hours. She had a great experience at the hospital thanks to the kind and compassionate doctors. Read her story here.
19. Sarah had initially planned for an unmedicated hospital birth, but eventually had an epidural when she became frustrated with the difference in checks between the nurse and the doctor. The second time she decided to hire a doula for extra support. Read her story here.
20. Nicole’s first birth was positive and peaceful. The epidural helped her relax and be present when she brought her daughter into the world. Read her story here.
Back Labor birth stories
21. Morgan and her husband planed for a home birth with local midwives. They took classes and educated themselves about giving birth. Morgan’s son was born after a 36 hour long back labor with a 9lb 3 oz posterior baby. She learnt a lot from this experience and had to deal with some breastfeeding complications after the birth of her son. Read her story here.
Other places to find birth stories
For more stories, check out these podcasts:
Latest posts by Araminta
- 17 Jobs that Allow You To Travel That You’ll Love - November 17, 2019
- The 11 Best Online Jobs for College Students - November 11, 2019
- Teach English Online – Here are 7 Real Companies Hiring Teachers - November 9, 2019