The bestselling book the Miracle Morning, motivated thousands of people to wake up earlier and get more done.
The argument is that waking up early is the best way to improve your life. But is it really true?
Why should you get up early?
I looked into a lot of bloggers to see if the 5 a.m. wake up is really a good deal. The ones that liked the idea, all said it had the following benefits:
- Helps build discipline. More than one blogger said getting up at 5 a.m. is a tough task. If you can manage it, you’re building up self-discipline. Need ideas? Here are 9 Routines for Better Sleep.
- You get better sleep. A sleep schedule usually goes hand in hand with getting up early. The routine helps you prepare your body for a better night’s sleep.
- Literal quiet time. You’re getting stuff done while everyone else is sleeping. That means there’s no one awake to bother you. You’re more productive.
- Better for your mental health. Some bloggers say the way you start your day ends up being a sign of how the rest of your day will go. When you’re focused and productive, the rest of the day seems to fall into place.
How do you train yourself to get up early?
Saying you’re going to get up at 5 a.m. is one thing, actually getting up that early is another. So how do you do it? Here are some tips from people who have actually done it.
- Set a routine. When you set a routine, your body is trained to know what’s going to happen. If you do the same thing every night, your body will adapt and getting up early will start to get easier.
- Start your wind down early, that way you’re ready to go to sleep when you’re supposed to.
- Do some chores like the dishes or ironing the night before so when you wake up in the morning, you’re ready to be productive.
- Don’t hit the snooze button in the morning.
If you still don’t believe a 5 a.m. wake-up can benefit you, don’t take it from me, take it from these 9 bloggers.
Jessica says she gets to pursue her side passions when she wakes up early. She blogs, she works out, and she enjoys the quiet. Jessica’s tip for getting up early, treat yourself with a DVR show before you start work.
Scott of Making Momentum says getting up early has changed every aspect of his life. Scott says his health, mind, finances, mood, career, and relationships have all seen positive impacts since he started getting up early.
Kristiyan Bogdanov says waking up at 5 a.m. gives him a fresh start to the day and he’s amazingly productive in those first few hours of the day. More than that, he’s actually more energized than he was as a night owl.
Ravi Raman says waking up early has made him more productive and healthier. He says he’s able to blog more and his body has adapted to a healthier diet. Ravi says the only downside is guilt. He feels guilty when he hits mid-afternoon and he’s done everything he needs to do for the day.
Mr. 1500 Days says he’s found a number of benefits since he switched the 5 a.m. wake-up, including a better relationship with his wife. She’s already on the 5 a.m. plan, so now they go to bed at the same time and fall asleep together. Like other bloggers, Mr. 1500 says he’s also blogging more frequently since changing his wake-up time.
Photographer Jessica Rice says she started to wake up at 5 a.m. to feel freer. Jessica’s a working mom who wanted the early mornings for meditating and exercising. The results have actually made her feel better, healthier, and cherish the time with her toddler more.
Sean of Location Rebel found that when he started waking up early he was able to get going on all those business projects he had been putting off. He was also able to amp up his blog writing and get in a round of golf before a 10 a.m. meeting. A little work and a little fun converted him into an early wake-up proponent.
Lidiya of Let’s Reach Success says waking up early has offered her a number of benefits including a more productive morning, and laser-sharp focus on the tasks at hand. She also says there’s the added bonus of me time.
Kat of The Art of Simple has an interesting take on the 5 a.m. wake up. She says she gets up early because she’s waking up for her life not to her life. The early wake up gives her the opportunity for personal inflection and introspection before the everyday life as a mother of three kicks in.
Related post: 9 Sleep Rituals to Improve Your Quality of Sleep
What do you think? Is the Miracle Morning true?
Got Money Goals?
Join 1,200 subscribers who receive weekly financial inspiration from Millennial Boss.